Current Background Investigation Service Providers
Last Fall the big news in the background investigation arena was the downfall of USIS and their investigators jumping ship to either CACI or KeyPoint Government Solutions. Since then very little ink has been spilled regarding how the transition went, whether CACI and KGS are doing a better job, or if the reforms and oversight instituted by OPM have cut down on the type of misconduct that caused USIS to abandon its investigations division.
Currently, from what I can gather from limited sources, there are only six companies providing investigative services for the Federal government. These are:
- CACI (primarily works on OPM background investigations)
- CSC (primarily works on the U.S. Immigration (ICE/CBP contract)
- DynCorp International (believed to work on contracts for CIA and State Department, but not confirmed)
- KeyPoint Government Solutions (primarily works on contracts for OPM and U.S. Immigration (ICE/CBP)
- ManTech International Corporation (believed to work on contracts for TSA and EPA, but not confirmed)
- Omniplex World Services (primarily works for U.S. Immigration (ICE/CBP but has smaller contracts across a wide spectrum of agencies as well as providing services for other government contractors)
I am sure there are a few other contractor background investigation service providers out there working under the radar for the Intelligence Community agencies. The ones listed above most assuredly work on other contracts, so for those that might have more information and would care to share, by all means do so, as one of the purposes of this site is to share information relevant to the industry.