Updated SF-86 Targeted for Release in July
Word on the street (because it is nowhere to be found online) among security professionals is that the Suitability and Security Clearance Performance Accountability Council has approved and targeted the deployment of the updated Questionnaire for National Security Positions (SF-86) for some time in July 2017, provided all parties involved are in agreement and processing systems are updated and ready to go. Here is a snapshot of the more significant changes or modifications:
– Illegal Use of Drugs and Drug Activity Question includes a statement that provides notice about including information regarding illegal use of drugs in accordance with Federal laws, even though it may be permissible under state laws.
– Citizenship section added a modified branching to collect information regarding derivative citizenship.
– Residences/where you lived section added clarification with the instructional section and collection of landlord information for rental residences.
– Education/where you went to school section added a link that provides assistance with determining the school address.
– Marital/Relationship Status section added wording for civil marriage, legally recognized civil union, and legally recognized domestic partnership.
– Relatives section added to ask if there were changes to citizenship.
– Financial Record section added Chapter 12 bankruptcy questions.
– Certification section added wording that requires you to affirm that you did not provide classified information on the form.
Other minor changes made to the updated SF-86 do not impact the scope or type of information asked for, but rather just provide clarification of what is being asked. We shall see if OPM, DISS and the NBIB can get organized and on track to meet the targeted date.